Browne’s Hospital Chapel

brownesBrowne’s Hospital was founded and built in 1475 by wool merchant William Browne for 10 poor men and 2 poor women with a Warden and Confrater to look after their spiritual needs.  There are now 13 residents in houses re-built in 1870 around a beautiful cloister garden.  The medieval parts of the Hospital are open to the public at weekends during the summer months and at other times guided tours can be arranged by telephoning 01780 763153 or 01780 763746.  The Hospital has famous medieval stained glass in the Chantry Chapel and elsewhere, and many original furnishings.